Job Title: Director of Marketing and Communications (Remote)
The Nature Conservancy
This position may be located anywhere in North Ame, VA United States
Director of Marketing and Communications (Remote)
This position may be located anywhere in North America. May be remote or hybrid. To apply for job ID 52252, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
This position reports to the Director of Marketing, North America Activation and Integration and will be assigned to business units, as well as the Global Marketing and Communications team for time-limited projects within TNC as needed.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will support various business units on short-to medium-term assignments. In this role, you will partner with department directors, executive teams, staff, and trustees to maintain strategic continuity during times of transition. You will provide a continuous point of connection between the assigned business unit leader(s) and the Marketing and Communications Division. You will manage the creation and execution of marketing and communications plans ensuring they are in alignment with the strategic priorities of the business unit you support, and the global organization.
As the Director of Marketing and Communications, you will focus on partnering with the leadership team of an assigned geography or business unit to tell the story of TNC’s strategy internally and externally, for short-to-medium-term assignments, to be determined by highest business need. You will work closely with the business unit’s executive team, board of trustees, philanthropy colleagues, and conservation and government relations staff to ensure the delivery of programs. You will also work on short-term, time-limited basis for other Global Marketing and Communications teams to support the activation of tentpole initiatives, events, and other strategic priorities.
In this role, you will interact with local executives and leadership teams, provide marketing team support, and create continuity in service for critical work. You own the creation and implementation of strategic communications and marketing plans and deliverables to build influence, donor, and public engagement as required by each assignment. You will drive communications and marketing results across myriad platforms, including webinars, blogs, nature.org, social media channels, e-newsletters, video, and events. You will drive a cohesive and integrated marketing and communications strategy that supports the marketing and communications goals of both the business unit and TNC’s Marketing and Communications Division.
You will provide direct counsel to different leadership teams on communications and marketing strategies to accelerate outcomes through compelling stories. You will elevate our voice and messaging across diverse media and audiences, both internal and external. You will contribute towards building meaningful connections to our programs and projects with influencers, donors, communities, policymakers and the media. You will champion TNC’s culture throughout all organizational communications and leadership messaging. You will ultimately help facilitate successful recruitments within the assigned business unit(s).
You will provide guidance to multidisciplinary marketing teams, and integrate with and leverage the globally dispersed Marketing and Communications Division to extend and share ideas and resources for the benefit of the organization and the work in assigned business unit(s). You will deploy strategies successfully given your knowledge of the industry best practices and trends across all marketing and communications platforms.
Are you an exceptional relationship manager with the ability to influence for outcomes? Do you have a proven ability to manage and inspire a multi-disciplinary marketing and communications team? Are you an exceptional relationship manager with the ability to influence for outcomes? We’re looking for someone who is passionate about the environment and knows industry best practices and trends across all marketing and communications platforms and has the know-how to deploy the strategies successfully.
• You have experience working with executives from diverse backgrounds.
• You have experience working with diverse marketing and communications teams, tools, and systems.
• You can take the complex and boil it down to its essence, making it understandable, compelling, and personal. You understand that communication is about storytelling and crafting a meaningful connection that drives action.
• You have diverse marketing and communications leadership experience and add value by advising leaders and stakeholders.
• You have the leadership ability guide a team with a strategic approach, and the experience and grit to work independently to deliver outcomes.
• You have experience advising/working collaboratively and have the skills to help our leaders discover and share important and inspiring stories.
• You have experience in building relationships with diverse audiences and in developing, refining, and spreading a message with them. You enjoy staying current on hot topics, trending stories, and new platforms/technologies and using this information to drive strategy, amplify our message, and increase awareness and impact.
• You have experience as a team leader that creates a positive, professional, and productive environment. You understand that our people are our greatest asset and that for us to succeed in our mission, we need to cultivate teamwork, provide opportunities for growth, and foster an environment where creativity and innovative thinking thrive.
• Professional experience that includes a blend of external and internal communications, policy/advocacy, public relations, and digital marketing. You have extraordinary communications skills and have experience delivering results with limited resources. You possess a high level of emotional intelligence, executive presence, and influencing skills.
Qualifications & Requirements You have all of these:
• Bachelor’s degree in related field and a minimum of 9 years related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience managing staff and teams.
• Experience developing marketing plans and measuring results.
• Experience cultivating and managing client relationships.
• Experience leading complex project and program/account management including financial responsibilities and measuring results of strategic plans and programs.
You have all or some of these:
• Deep knowledge of TNC’s Global Marketing and Communications strategic priorities, brand strategy, campaigns, and audiences, and marketing/communications tools and systems.
• A working understanding of TNC’s divisional and regional structures, its business unit leaders, and the regional differences between business units.
• Experience working effectively with business unit leaders and executives from diverse backgrounds.
• Strong understanding of TNC’s local and global conversation priorities.
• Knowledge of and experience working with various internal marketing and communications teams, tools, and systems.
• Ability to leverage work and processes of other TNC business units for local benefit and exposure.
• Multi-lingual skills appreciated.
• Multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience preferred.
• Master’s degree or extensive professional experience.
• Management experience including ability to motivate, lead, set objectives, manage performance, and help with conflict resolution on a multi-disciplinary team.
• Excellent communications, and presentation skills; ability to persuasively convey the mission of The Nature Conservancy to diverse groups including donors, board members and the public.
• Experience fostering an environment of creativity and professional growth.
• Experience developing, implementing, and measuring strategic marketing plans and programs.
• Demonstrated ability in planning and managing budgets.
• Excellent communications, mediation, and negotiation skills.
• Experience developing, directing, and managing multiple projects.
• Knowledge and application of current and evolving trends in relevant discipline.
• Cross disciplinary knowledge to support program objectives.
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube or on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan including employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work wellbeing benefits. Learn more about our benefits at in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work environment that is supportive of the health, wellbeing, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!