XR EXPERIENCE TECHNICIAN
XR Experience Technician
Arizona State University
LX Space Success
ASU, a leading innovator in Higher Education, is looking for a dynamic individual to join our Learning Experience team, performing a variety of activities necessary to support and grow Dreamscape Learn and future XR initiatives at ASU. Successful candidates will have demonstrated experience providing operational excellence and a passion for customer service. ASU’s University Technology Office (UTO) has over 500 employees, offering a variety of career paths in a high-energy working environment. The technology initiatives we’re engaged in are transformative and unprecedented in Higher Education. Consider taking the step and joining the Sun Devil family!
As with everyone in the UTO family, culture and communications are core responsibilities in this role.
$48,000 - $55,000 per year; DOE
• Coordinate operations of the Dreamscape Learn spaces and ensure impactful experiences for learners
• Guide guests through virtual reality (VR) learning experiences from beginning to end
• Provide excellent customer service to guests to ensure a positive experience
• Troubleshoot VR equipment, including VR backpacks, VR headsets, infrared trackers and multitools, infrared cameras, etc.
• Minimize operational downtime by ensuring that VR experiences are fully functional and performing regular testing and maintenance of all virtual reality pods, equipment, and systems
• Handle inventory of VR equipment and manage the RMA process for defective equipment with external vendors
• Act as point of contact and maintain communication with external support teams when issues need to be escalated
• Train, mentor, supervise, schedule, and evaluate a team of student employees
• Develop and cultivate strong working relationships with partners, both internal and external to ASU
• Manage and maintain the Dreamscape Learn schedule through the web portal and other scheduling tools
• Ensure appropriate opening and closing of the Dreamscape Learn facility
• Ensure cleaning and safety guidelines are followed according to ASU standards
• Take responsibility for fostering culture, advancing our values, and championing engagement in all its forms -- collaborating across our teams as well as participating in UTO/ASU events and programs
Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or closely related field AND 4 years providing instructional technology diagnostic and trouble-shooting support; OR any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. Certificates from recognized programs that indicate mastery of tools and techniques relevant to the assignment may substitute for up to 6 months' experience.
• Experience providing advanced technical support, troubleshooting, and training for classroom technologies
• Experience maintaining scheduled customer services with an emphasis on high throughput and attention to quality in a timely manner
• Experience supporting virtual reality technologies
• Experience troubleshooting and testing software, hardware, and online services
• Experience coordinating complex projects and managing related resources from start to finish
• Experience working in a lead position and coordinating the work efforts and development of student employees
• Experience working with internal groups and outside vendors to collaborate on projects, problem solve, or design solutions to technical issues
• Experience managing cases in reporting systems such as Salesforce and ServiceNow
• Evidence of effective communication with both technical and non-technical users
• Ability to model empathy, compassion, and emotional intelligence
• Experience hiring in a values-led organization, emphasizing diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
• Ability to help foster a safe psychological space for all teammates where everyone can thrive
• Ability to stimulate changes in individual, institutional, and corporate behaviors to create a more sustainable environment
• Ability to lead by example in communicating, participating, and encouraging support of the institution’s sustainability programs
• Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, standing and walking
• Frequent physical demands may include stooping, bending, crawling under/around objects, reaching, lifting and pushing objects of varying weights up to and over 100 pounds
• Regular review of completed tasks
The University Technology Office (UTO) embraces its role as both an enabler and catalyst for advancing the vision and work of the New American University. We are a values-driven organization. Our commitments are reflected in all of the work we do in pursuit of operational excellence, the experience and delight of our community, and our strategic and innovation initiatives. Applicant must be eligible to work in the United States; ASU UTO will not be a sponsor for this position.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ see Req Id# 72736BR
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.