Job Title: Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer
Room to Read
SAN FRANCISCO, CA United States
Administrative and Support Services
Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer
The Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is an integral part of the CEO team at Room to Read. The Assistant is responsible for providing administrative support to the CEO as it relates to scheduling, booking travel, proofreading/editing documents and presentations, and assisting with special projects as they arise. This role requires a very high level of attention to detail, organization and flexibility.
The Assistant will be based in Room to Read’s San Francisco headquarters, and will report to the Associate, Office of the CEO, while working directly with the CEO on daily tasks and projects. This is a fantastic position for a self-motivated, and well-organized individual who wants to be part of a fast-growing international non-profit.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as the key point of contact for the CEO and assist with daily administrative duties, while reporting to the Associate, Office of the CEO
- Manage the CEO’s calendar, schedule internal and external meetings and calls across numerous time zones; coordinate and lead weekly meetings with CEO team to establish priorities
- Plan and coordinate extensive international and domestic travel itineraries for the CEO, including flight arrangements, local travel, lodging and any other logistical needs
- Lead the annual travel planning process for the CEO, working with the CEO team and other departments to determine top priorities
- Respond to external requests for the CEO’s time at meetings, events and speaking engagements; actively work with MarCom team to identify speaking opportunities for CEO
- Update PowerPoint presentations for internal and external use, draft and proofread emails,, video scripts, and other internal and external communications
- Support the CEO department to facilitate the signing of documents
- Organize, manage and maintain filing system and contact information for CEO
- Calculate and submit accurate expense reports and time keeping for the CEO and Associate, Office of the CEO
- Research and collate information for the CEO in preparation for internal and external meetings; collaborate with other departments on improving business processes
Board and Management Team Support (20%):
- Support Board of Directors by reviewing and collating materials for board decks, assisting with board meeting logistics, and communicating with board members and their Executive Assistant’s regarding scheduling.
- Coordinate Board Committee meetings and calls (Executive, Nominating and Governance Committee, and Human Resources)
- Support Management Team and weekly meetings; manage the invitations, coordinate guests, take notes, collect pre-reading and support follow-up
- Support board engagement and stewardship by ensuring CEO is prepared for board engagement activities
- Support Critical Friends outreach and follow-up, including editing/proofreading documents and presentations, providing logistical support for the meetings, and owning the distribution list
-Collect key organizational metrics on a monthly basis
- Manage, coordinate and review the collection of data for the quarterly dashboard
- Plan, lead and suggest improvements for the monthly All Hands meeting; assist staff with presentation preparation when needed and facilitate agenda items
- Develop and manage the CEO team annual budget
- Organize and facilitate projects and events for the CEO Team and Management Team
- Undertake special projects, such as research projects, as needed (e.g. Strategic Plan initiatives)
- Support CEO Team in reaching annual goals (e.g. employee engagement)
Room to Read offers a competitive pay with excellent benefits. Benefits include health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, commuter benefits and a 401K match. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.
Global Office - Main - San Francisco
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled
To apply for this position please visit our job board. Select the Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer role, click apply and complete the online application which will ask you to provide your resume, cover letter and some personal information. You will receive an email confirmation when your application has been received. Due to high applicant volume, we regret that we are not able to send personalized responses to all applicants. However, if you need technical assistance, please email email@example.com. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
Qualifications & Requirements Qualifications:
- 1-2+ years of related work experience in a fast paced, growth-oriented environment
- Adept at using Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Detail-oriented and flexible
- Proactive and tenacious troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to correspond both verbally and in writing with key stakeholders, donors and networks in a professional and timely manner
- Results-oriented and strong work ethic
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Legally eligible to work in the United States; no sponsorship provided
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent years of experience
- History of dedicated volunteer activity and/or commitment to non-profit organizations
- Previous Assistant experience for a C-level executive and/or Personal Assistant experience
- Experience traveling and/or living internationally or working across cultures, and building relationships with diverse groups of people
Room to Read is a global organization transforming the lives of millions of children in low-income countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Founded in 2000 on the belief that World Change Starts with Educated Children®, our innovative model focuses on deep, systemic transformation within schools in low-income countries during two time periods that are most critical in a child’s schooling: early primary school for literacy acquisition and secondary school for girls’ education. We work in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments to develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children and ensure girls can complete secondary school with the skills necessary to negotiate key life decisions. By focusing on the quality of education provided within the communities and ensuring these outcomes are measured, we have created a model that can be replicated, localized and sustained by governments. Room to Read has benefited 11.5 million children across over 20,000 communities in Bangladesh, Cambodia, Grenada, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Laos, Nepal, Rwanda, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam and Zambia, and aims to reach 15 million children by 2020.
Join our global movement and find ways to get involved at www.roomtoread.org/takeaction!