*This is a remote work-from home position until further notice, at which point the employee will report to work in the office.
The Development Associate will report to the Development Manager and be responsible for supporting a variety of Development activities, including donor relations and communications, event management, fundraising database maintenance and oversight, foundation relations, and related organizational activities. Self-motivation, flexibility, attention to detail, communication skills, and the ability to handle successfully competing priorities are essential to this position.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Departmental Support: Ensuring that the Development Department has the resources and supports it needs, including scheduling, records maintenance, interfacing with vendors, and coordinating with others within the organization.
Donor Database Oversight & Quality Control: Maintaining and managing the fundraising database (currently EveryAction; formerly Salesforce) for the department, including quality control of data entry, producing timely gift acknowledgements, producing data reports, utilizing database consultants as needed, and ensuring that Development records align with those of the Finance Department.
Donor Relations & Special Events: Supporting donor relations and special events production.
Foundation Relations: Supporting foundation relations and assisting with grants management.
Organizational: Participate in organization-wide planning, development, and communication activities, as needed and ensure adherence to Advancement Project goals and policies within the project area.
Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
Qualifications & Requirements Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform satisfactorily each essential job function assigned. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• A demonstrated interest in the fundraising profession is required; employment and/or volunteer experience or academic preparation preferred
• Possess basic knowledge of fundraising principles and practices, or be highly motivated to learn
• Demonstrated commitment to racial equity
• Demonstrated experience working with fundraising database(s), preferably EveryAction
• Experience with project management tools such as Asana and Slack
• Discretion, commitment to confidentiality, and excellent judgment in handling sensitive individual and organizational information
• Excellent organization skills with an ability to prioritize multiple tasks and a variety of demands
• Strong interpersonal/written/verbal communication skills to effectively collaborate with donors, funders, Board Members, and staff of all levels
• Initiative and independence in carrying out responsibilities
• Detail-oriented, with strong organizational, analytical, and planning skills
• Able to work in an environment of constant demands and frequent interruptions
• Demonstrated ability to work accurately and effectively with computerized data systems, specifically Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel
• Demonstrated ability to work in a professional manner with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment and spirit of cooperation
• Bachelor’s degree
Competitive compensation depending on experience. Includes full health, dental and retirement benefits.
Please send cover letter, resume, and a professional writing sample (inclusive of emails, memos, or other writing) to:
Director of Human Resources, Finance and Administration
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Advancement Project California champions the struggle for greater equity and opportunity for all, fostering upward mobility in communities most impacted by economic and racial injustice. We build alliances and trust, use data-driven policy solutions, create innovative tools and work alongside communities to ignite social transformation. Rooted in the historic struggle for racial and economic equality, Advancement Project California envisions a world where all communities have equitable access to public resources and opportunities to thrive. The California office’s primary programs are Educational Equity, Equity in Community Investments, and Political Voice