Accountant - Business Office (S861)
A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, Azusa Pacific University is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering more than 100 associateís, bachelorís, masterís, and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at six regional locations across Southern California, APU continues to be recognized annually as one of Americaís Best Colleges by U.S. News & World Report. APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is edifying to God and to one another.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
The Accountant will be the primary person directly responsible for the day-to-day completion of complex journal entries, preparation of monthly reconciliations of all University bank accounts, listing all reconciling items and coordinating activity with members of the Business Office to research, resolve and clear issues on a monthly basis. The Accountant verifies the accuracy and validity of complex posting and accounting transactions; prepares entries to correct accounting errors, performs analytical reviews and maintains general ledger reconciliations including student loan reconciliations. This person assists management personnel with ensuring monthly, quarterly, and year-end closes in a timely manner. Additional responsibilities include daily recording of miscellaneous income, monthly processing of high volume inter-departmental billings, and special projects as assigned by the Accounting Operations Manager.
* Bachelorís degree in Accounting, or equivalent work experience
* Four years professional experience in accounting performing general accounting duties including journalizing transactions, bank reconciliations and providing support to financial statement preparation.
* Knowledge of GAAP.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
* Primary resource to reconcile all university bank accounts, records reconciling items and submits reconciliations by assigned deadlines.
* Serve as a contact with departments for banking corrections and transfers, providing research and timely resolution of requests.
* Prepare and posts journals which may include consolidations and eliminations.
* Maintains accurate check management records. Oversees research of outstanding items ensuring that correcting entries are prepared.
* Primary resource to reconcile all university loan funds, records reconciling items and submits reconciliations for review by the Accounting Operations manager.
* Tracks and records external loan funding from government, state, and alternative methods. Reviews outside agencies websites and determines funding to request for the university.
* Processes monthly inter-departmental billings for Bookstore, Central Supplies, Mail Services, Computer Store, Duplicating/Graphics Center, Banquet Services, Event Center, Telecommunications, and prepares journal entries to record these activities.
* Performs reconciliation of gifts to the university to maintain accuracy in the general ledger.
* Out of State registrations
* Serves as a contact with departments for corrections and transfers, providing research and resolution of requests.
* Ability to manage competing deadlines with accuracy and minimal supervision within Azusa Pacific University
* Performs various additional complex related accounting duties as assigned.
* Responsible for daily electronic timekeeping as it applies to the scope of this position.
* Regular, punctual attendance as required by the supervisor based on department needs.
* Participate in other projects as required by senior management.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Qualifications & Requirements Please see job description